Craving a Casserole
|October 27, 2009||Posted by admin under Cooking, Healthy Eating, Produce, Recipes|
For some strange reason, I really wanted a make a casserole this weekend. It’s especially strange for me because I never make them. It’s not that I really have anything against casseroles… they’re basically a full meal in one dish. Who wouldn’t like that? The only problem I have with casseroles is that most of them called for cream-of-whatever soup and a bunch of other processed/canned stuff. I don’t really enjoy cooking with these shortcuts, and it’s definitely not the way I want to eat. So it took a little digging, but I found a casserole recipe that is fast, wholesome, cheap and is made from scratch.
I found this recipe for a zucchini casserole and made some changes to make it how I wanted. It turned out really well and gave me some leftovers for lunch the next day. I especially loved the crunchiness of the corn flakes. My boyfriend said he would like it better with more cheese (maybe you could put a layer on the top), but I thought it was just fine with what it had. I’m sure you could also add some meat in there if you wanted to. Right now is a good time to make this since Florida zucchini, peppers and tomatoes are all about to be in season!
- 7-8 cups Florida zucchini, sliced into 1/2 rounds then cut in half
- 1 bell pepper, diced (whichever color you prefer)
- 1 1/4 cups cornflakes cereal, separated (or Italian bread crumbs will work)
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 tsp dried (I also sprinkled a mix of dried Italian seasoning in mine)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Florida tomato, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except 1/4 cup cereal and tomato. Spread evenly into prepared dish. Top with tomato slices.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cereal or bread crumbs during the last 15 minutes.
Note: You can use a 8×8 baking dish, just leave in a few minutes longer.