Clever Avocado Desserts
|July 8, 2011||Posted by Melissa under Cooking, Nutrition, Produce|
I read an article today about simple substitutions that reduce the amount of fat intake in everyday foods. This looks like one to try: substituting avocado for half of the butter used in cookies! The slide says that it might give a slight green tinge to the cookies, but the flavor will not be altered.
It also reminded me a Key Lime Avocado Pie I tried once. The recipe was similar to this one, found on AllRecipes. It was delicious!
Avocado Lime Pie
- 1 cup sieved avocado pulp
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9-inch single crust pie
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, lime zest, lime juice, lightly beaten egg yolks, and salt; blend until mixture thickens. Stir in avocado pulp. Pour filling into pie shell.
- Chill pie several hours. Garnish with whipped cream, and serve.
(Note: Children, pregnant women and those with compromised immune systems should not consume raw eggs.)
Avocado Ice Cream
(Makes 1/4 gallon)
- 3 avocados (2 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup lime juice
Whip avocado pulp, lime juice and sugar in blender or food processor. Pour the avocado mixture into the ice cream maker and add the whipping cream and the condensed milk. Freeze and churn until ready.
Anybody willing to experiment and report back to us?