Recipe a Day for May: Blueberry and Blue Cheese Salad
|May 4, 2012||Posted by Sarah under Cooking, Recipes|
This recipe contains something that I love and something that I hate. The love would, of course, be blueberries. They are by far my favorite fruit. The world needs more blueberries. The thing I hate would be blue cheese. Yuck. But I know that most people actually enjoy the stinky stuff, so here ya go – a simple salad with something I love and hate.
Blueberry and Blue Cheese Salad
Yield 4 Servings
- 1 cup fresh Florida blueberries
- 8 cups salad greens (spring mix, romaine or your favorite)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons Florida honey
- 1/2 cup blue cheese (Stilton or Gorgonzola can also be used)
- 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, or olive oil if you prefer
- 1 tablespoon mild vinegar (white or rice wine vinegar)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
In a small bowl, whisk together oil, sour cream, honey, vinegar and lemon juice. Taste vinaigrette and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Rinse and dry blueberries.
In a medium-sized bowl, dress the salad greens with a small amount of vinaigrette and toss. Add more vinaigrette if necessary. Place dressed salad greens on serving plate, and top with blueberries and blue cheese.