Recipe a Day for May: Florida Arugula and Bacon with Pasta
|May 7, 2012||Posted by Sarah under Cooking, Recipes|
It’s a new day (in May) and a new recipe. For this recipe, I only have one word for you…. BACON. You’re welcome.
Yield 4 to 6 Servings
- 1 1/4 cups Florida arugula, stems removed, leaves torn in half (one 2-ounce bunch)
- 1/4 pound lean sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups Florida tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 pound linguini or your favorite pasta
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
In a large stainless-steel frying pan, cook the bacon over moderate heat until almost crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until just done, about 10 minutes. Drain and toss with the sauce, bacon, arugula, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan. Stir until the arugula just wilts; if it actually cooks, it may turn bitter
Sprinkle the remaining parmesan over the top.