Recipe a Day for May: Watermelon and Shrimp Skewers
|May 22, 2012||Posted by Sarah under Cooking, Produce, Recipes, Seafood|
Today’s recipe features two commodities that have “Florida” written all over them – fresh, juicy watermelon and Gulf shrimp!
Yield 4 Servings
- 1/2 medium-sized Florida watermelon, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 32 cubes)
- 32 large Florida shrimp, cleaned, poached and chilled
- 1/2 bunch fresh Florida basil leaves
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar (or mild flavored vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 8 six-inch bamboo skewers
In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and the peanut butter until completely blended. Add in the garlic, ginger and soy sauce until fully combined. Taste sauce and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Pour most of the dressing over the shrimp, reserving some sauce for dipping. Chill marinated shrimp for 1 hour. To assemble, alternate shrimp, watermelon cubes and torn basil leaves on 8 skewers. Serve skewers with leftover sauce.