Monthly Archives: January 2013
|January 8, 2013||Posted by Arlette under Agriculture, Cooking, Healthy Eating, Kids, Nutrition|
Co-writer: Betsy Crisp Students at five Pasco County elementary schools, including Fox Hollow, Gulfside, Mary Giella, Northwest, and Veterans, are taking part in monthly taste-tests of popular Florida fruit and vegetable commodities as part of the USDA’s Healthier US School Challenge. The program was designed to recognize and encourage excellence in nutrition and physical activity. […] continue reading
|January 8, 2013||Posted by Melissa under Agriculture, Events|
Although the Ntional Arbor Day is celebrated the last Friday in April, in Florida we celebrate it on the third Friday in January. A number of states celebrate it on alternate dates according to the best schedule for planting trees in their regions. According to the National Arbor Day Foundation, the first Arbor Day was held in […] continue reading
|January 7, 2013||Posted by Melissa under Cooking, Produce, Recipes|
Chicken, tomatoes, garlic, chili and cocoa? It may sound odd, but these ingredients team up to make a delicious Chicken Rojo. Reminiscent of a Mexican mole (pronounced “moe-lay”), which uses chocolate to make a deeper, richer, more complex flavor, this recipe uses several different Fresh From Florida ingredients. Find the recipe here, and serve it […] continue reading
|January 4, 2013||Posted by Melissa under Healthy Eating, In Stores, Produce|
Happy New Year! Check out the latest Fresh From Florida items on ad in grocery stores around the state. Albertsons • Strawberries – lb – 2/$5.00 • Tomatoes – $1.00/lb • Tangerines – 3 lb – 2/$5.00 • Oranges – 4 lb – 2/$5.00 • Grapefruit – 5 lb – 2/$5.00 • Celery – $1.00/lb […] continue reading
|January 4, 2013||Posted by Sarah under Uncategorized|
I thought it would be fun to look back on 2012 from a blogging standpoint. This blog covers so many different aspects of agriculture that it is really fascinating to see what the top posts were this year. Maybe I am just a nerd but I think it’s pretty interesting to know what people read […] continue reading
I thought it would be fun to look back on 2012 from a blogging standpoint. This blog covers so many different aspects of agriculture that it is really fascinating to see what the top posts were this year. Maybe I am just a nerd but I think it’s pretty interesting to know what people read the most!
10. Cool Florida Cucumber Dip – Our step by step post on how to make a fresh and healthy dip was the 10th most popular post this year!
9. Recipe: Florida Shrimp and Blue Crab Pizza – Ever had seafood on a pizza? Apparently our readers were interested in trying it!
8. Recipe: Watermelon and Shrimp Cocktail Skewers – I posted one of Chef Justin’s recipes each day in May. This one is so simple, yet so good.
7. Recipe: Open Face Watermelon Sandwiches – Watermelon must be popular with our readers… it is with us too!
6. Recipe: Blueberry Breakfast Casserole – This was the recipe leading up to Memorial Day weekend. Did you make it? How did you like it?
5. Time to Grill – Renaldo gave us some some simple tips for good grillin’ in this post.
4. Strawberry Santa – This project that we found on Pinterest was super easy and a big success! Kristopher had a great time playing with (then eating) these Strawberry Santas (or as he likes to call them, “Santa Ninjas”).
3. Oyster Admiration – Mindy shared her secret for making Angelo’s style baked oysters with cheddar and bacon. Um, yum!
2. National Zucchini Bread Day – Ya’ll really liked Kim’s guilt-free zucchini bread recipe!
And last… the most popular post of 2012 on the Fresh From Florida Blog was….