The Thrill of the Florida Grill – Char-Grilled Vegetables with Feta
|May 13, 2013||Posted by Melissa under Cooking, Healthy Eating, Produce, Recipes|
It’s not only meats that do well on the grill. Vegetables are so yummy when they are grilled, and this recipe for Char-Grilled Vegetables with Feta brings out the sunshine. It’s a great way to showcase light, healthy vegetables with the creamy, briny induldgence of feta cheese. And that touch of basil at the end adds just the right kick of flavor!
• 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
• 2 zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
• 2 large yellow squash, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
• 3 bell peppers, sliced large
• 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon seasoning blend (Greek, Italian or your favorite)
• 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
• 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, hand-torn
1. Preheat charcoal or gas grill to medium-high.
2. Add all the vegetables to a large mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and seasoning blend to the sliced vegetables and mix lightly to get all the vegetables coated.
3. Carefully place the seasoned vegetables on the hot grill. The vegetables should cook rather quickly. Keep checking the underside of the vegetables for grill marks. Flip and continue to work the grilling surface by moving the vegetables around to the hot spot for even cooking. They should have nice char-grill marks on them, and the texture should be crisp-tender.
4. Remove vegetables from grill and arrange on a platter. Evenly distribute feta cheese over the top. Garnish with the fresh hand-torn basil leaves. Serve warm.