The Thrill of the Florida Grill – Grilled and Chilled Watermelon with Feta and Mint
|May 23, 2013||Posted by Melissa under Cooking, Healthy Eating, Produce, Recipes|
Chef Justin came up with this creative twist on fresh Florida watermelon by grilling it to bring out the sugars and chilling it for a refreshing treat in this recipe for Grilled and Chilled Florida Watermelon with Feta and Mint. Who knew that grilled watermelon would be so delicious?!
• 1 small watermelon (about 6 pounds)
• 1/2 cup small mint leaves, hand-torn
• 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled into large chunks
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Slice watermelon into 1-inch slices. Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat until very hot. Two at a time, grill watermelon rounds about 2-3 minutes on each side until charred.
2. Transfer watermelon to a cutting board and cut into wedges, discarding the rind. Place watermelon wedges in refrigerator until chilled.
3. Arrange wedges on plate. Sprinkle with mint and feta. Drizzle with oil and vinegar then sprinkle with salt and pepper
Chef’s Tip: To cut a watermelon into rounds, lay the melon on its side and cut through the rind and flesh with a sharp knife.