Perfect Florida Picnics – Delightful Desserts
|June 22, 2013||Posted by Melissa under Produce, Recipes|
What picnic is complete without a little something sweet? Think things that are easy to transport like muffins, fruit salads, fruit bars, and cupcakes. We have fun recipes that make picnics delightful.
Looking for low-maintenance? Blueberry-Lemon Corn Muffins are a snap to prepare (and eat!)
• paper muffin cup liners
• 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
• 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
• 1/2 cup whole milk
• 2 large egg yolks
• 1/2 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line six 1/3-cup muffin cups with paper liners. Melt butter and cool. Into a large bowl sift together flour and baking powder and whisk in cornmeal, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon zest, and a generous pinch of salt.
2. In a bowl whisk together melted butter, milk, and yolks and add to flour mixture with half of blueberries, gently stirring until just combined. Divide batter evenly among cups (batter will fill cups) and press remaining blueberries into tops of muffins.
3. Sprinkle tops of muffins evenly with remaining tablespoon sugar. Bake muffins in middle of oven about 15 minutes, or until tops are golden and a tester comes out clean. Remove muffins from cups and cool on a rack. Muffins keep in an airtight container at room temperature 2 days.
For something with decadent icing, these Carrot Cupcakes with Molasses Cream Cheese Icing hit the spot and make for a sweet finale to a picnic!
Of course, there’s always fresh fruit like watermelon, cantaloupe, lychees and mangoes. Fresh fruit can be served individually or in salads, and they are juicy, sweet and refreshing. Click here for a list of what’s in season. Let us know what your favorite picnic desserts are, and check www.thefloridachef.com for more delightful dessert options!