The Salad Days of Summer – Curried Chicken, Green Bean and Almond Salad
|July 9, 2013||Posted by Melissa under Cooking, Produce, Recipes|
Florida in the summer seems slower to me. Maybe it is the heat, or maybe it is school being out, or maybe there doesn’t seem to be the urgency that exists during other seasons. While I enjoy cooking throughout the year, and especially love cooking foods in season when they are super fresh, I don’t love heating up my kitchen when it is already hot outside. This Curried Chicken, Green Bean and Almond Salad recipe fits the bill. It allows me to spend a little bit of time in the kitchen, but I’m not spending hours in a hot room.
• 12 ounces Florida green beans, trimmed, halved crosswise
• 2 cups roasted Florida chicken breast meat (from about 3 chicken breast halves), shredded
• 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
• 5 tablespoons fresh Florida cilantro, chopped
• 2 teaspoons curry powder
• 1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
• 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
• 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
1. Cook beans in pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Rinse under cold water. Drain well. Transfer beans to large bowl. Add chicken, onion and 4 tablespoons cilantro.
2. Stir curry powder in small skillet over medium heat until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Transfer to small bowl. Whisk in yogurt, mayonnaise and lime juice.
3. Add dressing to chicken mixture; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.Sprinkle with almonds and remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)
What’s your favorite summertime salad?