Fresh From Florida Kids – Rooted For Life
|August 30, 2013||Posted by Melissa under Cooking, Healthy Eating, Kids, Nutrition, Produce, Recipes|
Fresh From Florida Kids is a program designed to help parents lead their children into making healthy food choices. Beginning from the time infants first eat solids and continuing to adulthood, healthy eating doesn’t have to be difficult or mysterious. Check out the program website for delicious recipes and wellness tips.
One of the helpful components of the program is showing how a family can prepare food for everyone in the family (even baby food!) without having to make separate meals. This recipe for Shepherd’s Pie is family-friendly and shows how to prepare potatoes for your baby at the same time, making meal preparation a snap!
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 large Florida onion, peeled and chopped
• 1 large Florida carrot, peeled and chopped
• 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
• 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon dry rosemary
• 1 cup Florida green beans, chopped
• 3 pounds Florida potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup low-fat milk
• salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil; add the onion, carrot and meat. Cook until done, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Drain the fat and add the broth, tomato paste and rosemary. Simmer until the juices thicken, about 10 minutes; add the green beans. Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish; set aside.
4. Bring potatoes to a boil. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain, reserving some cooking liquid. * Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk and salt. Spread over the meat mixture. Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
After cooking potatoes in step 4, remove 1 cup of the potatoes before adding butter, milk and salt. Place in food grinder and puree. Freeze any extra in ice cube trays for use later. If the potatoes need thinning, use some of the reserved cooking liquid, formula, or breast milk to achieve the desired consistency.
Yield – 6 Servings