Warm Up With Florida Corn, Potato and Sausage Chowder
|December 12, 2013||Posted by Melissa under Cooking, Produce, Recipes|
Having a brief cold snap certainly puts a pep in my step, although I realize that cold spells in Florida aren’t quite like those in other parts of the country. Something I like when the mercury does dip below 70 is this Corn, Potato and Sausage Chowder. It is a comforting and hearty soup that is easy to make.
• 1 pound low-fat link sausage, diced
• 1 cup Florida onion, chopped
• 1/4 cup flour
• 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
• 2 cups Florida potatoes, diced
• 2 cups fresh Florida corn kernels
• 8 ounces cream-style corn
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
• 2 cups whole milk
• salt to taste
• freshly ground pepper to taste
• Cook the sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until sausage is browned and onion is lightly browned and tender. Stir in flour until blended into mixture. Add chicken broth and stir to blend.
• Add diced potatoes, corn and cream-style corn, pepper and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Cover, reduce heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender.
• Add milk and cook, covered, for another 15 minutes. Serve warm with crusty bread.
What are your favorite cold weather foods?