Get the Blues at the Florida Blueberry Festival
|April 9, 2014||Posted by Melissa under Cooking, Events, Produce, Recipes|
Florida blueberries are in season, and this weekend is a great time to enjoy them during the Florida Blueberry Festival! Running Saturday, April 12 and Sunday, April 13, this is the third year of the annual festival that is dedicated to the delicious fruit. The events and activities, ranging from musical and dance acts, to the Blueberry Derby, to the Fresh From Florida marketplace, will be held in charming downtown Brooksville.
For more information, check out the festival website at www.floridablueberryfestival.org. When you’re there, please stop by the Fresh From Florida booth and say “hi.”
To get you inspired, check out this recipe for a yummy Florida blueberry cheesecake topping!
1. In a small sauce pot, combine 2 pints blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and water.
2. Place sauce pot over medium-high heat.
3. Stir contents of pot as it comes to a boil, reduce heat to simmer.
4. Cook blueberry mixture for 20 minutes or until it coats the back of a spoon.
5. Strain blueberry sauce through a sieve if desired.
6. Let blueberry sauce cool to room temperature, and store in the refrigerator until needed.
7. Top the cheesecake with some of the cooled blueberry sauce, leaving extra for garnish.
8. Place fresh leftover blueberries on top of the cheesecake and garnish with fresh mint.
9. Serve the blueberry-topped cheesecake with extra blueberry sauce.